The winter holiday season brings increased travel on Pennsylvania roads due to the demands and activities of the time of year. The increased traffic on sometimes poor road conditions can be dangerous when coupled with risky driving behaviors. Dangerous driving behaviors during the season include fatigued driving and aggressive driving, since the holiday rush can bring on exhaustion and excess stress for some people. Additionally, drivers are more likely to drive impaired following alcohol consumption at holiday parties and drive distracted while texting holiday greetings.
Keep you and your passengers safe while traveling this holiday season by following these tips:
- Plan ahead of time. Budget for the possibility of additional necessary travel time, know your travel route and make sure your vehicle is in good working order;
- Rest before any long trips. Take breaks during extended travel and pull off the road or switch drivers if you get tired;
- Drive defensively and let aggressive drivers pass you or go through the intersection first. Plan for excess traffic that may require you to travel below posted speed limits;
- If you choose to drink at a holiday get-together, choose a designated driver beforehand or plan to call a taxi or Uber; and
- Pull off the road if you need to make a phone call or send a text message.
If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident over the holiday season, contact the Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys at Metzger Wickersham for experienced legal advice.