A car accident can be a terrifying and frustrating experience, especially if an injury occurs. While the shock of being involved in a collision can be overwhelming, there are certain steps you can take to ensure that the aftermath of an accident runs smoothly.
You should take the following steps immediately after a car accident:
- Remain calm. Maintain composure and take deep breaths, then make an adequate assessment of the situation. Check yourself, as well as your passengers, for any serious injuries.
- Seek immediate medical attention, if necessary. If serious injuries are present, call an ambulance immediately.
- Call the police. Law enforcement officers can file an accident report which may be used as evidence to support your claim. Only disclose pertinent facts, so leave out any minor details that could make you appear at fault.
- Report the crash to your insurance provider. Remember, do not admit fault. Any admission of wrongdoing on your part can be used against you, resulting in a reduced amount of compensation or complete denial of your claim.
- Get the other driver’s contact information. Make sure you get their name, phone number, e-mail address, insurance policy number, and license plate number. If witnesses are present, ask if they are willing to cooperate with your claim and then obtain their contact information as well.
- Take pictures of the scene. Using the camera on your smartphone, or a hand-held digital camera, start taking photographs of the accident scene. Take pictures of the exterior and interior of all vehicles involved, the injuries sustained, streets signs and traffic lights, as well as the road and weather conditions.
- Contact an attorney. Seek legal guidance from a car accident lawyer to start building your case, especially if the other driver is being uncooperative or doesn’t have car insurance. An attorney can investigate the accident, gather evidence, and interview witnesses in order to develop an effective and personalized legal strategy to get the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Pennsylvania, Metzger Wickersham is ready to help recover your entitled compensation. Our personal injury lawyers have handled thousands of car accident cases in Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Wilkes-Barre and throughout the state. We will review police reports, medical records, employment documents, and all other resources necessary to determine the most favorable outcome possible.
Contact us and schedule a consultation today.