Under Governor Wolf’s state reopening plan, our offices are open for business by appointment only. Metzger Wickersham is accepting new clients and all attorneys and staff are available to assist you. Please contact us via phone, email or chat with a live representative on the website.
Harrisburg Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
What to Do if Hit By a Driver Who Leaves the Scene
When you are hit by a driver who does not stop to exchange information about the accident, you've been involved in a "hit and run." Drivers may leave the scene of a crash for a number of reasons. They may not have auto insurance or a driver's license, or they may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident. They may even flee because they have an outstanding warrant for their arrest. Regardless, there is never an excusable reason to leave the scene of an accident, and those who do have committed a criminal act.
In Pennsylvania, law enforcement authorities take hit and run accidents very seriously, and so do we. At Metzger Wickersham, our firm has been trusted for more than 130 years and boasts a large support staff. This enables us to thoroughly comb through the details of our clients’ cases and make efficient, effective decisions that will give our clients the best chance at a satisfactory outcome.
What to Do After a Hit & Run
Being in a car accident can be extremely stressful on its own without the added complication of a driver that doesn’t stop to take responsibility. It is important to be prepared in case this happens to you.
- Call 911. Get the police to the scene of the accident so that they can fill out a report. Request an ambulance if you or your passengers need medical attention.
- Gather evidence. Write down any information you can remember about the vehicle and driver responsible for your accident, including the vehicle’s make, model, and color, and anything you can remember about the license plate. If there are witnesses nearby, be sure to take their names and contact information as well.
- See a doctor. Even if you don’t immediately feel hurt, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Plus, it will be helpful to establish a paper trail documenting your injury.
- Contact an attorney. Never sign anything or accept a settlement agreement without first consulting an attorney – you could be offered much less than you are owed!
Get Help from an Experienced Pennsylvania Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
Metzger Wickersham is ready to offer you a free case review to discuss your rights and legal options. If the driver who hit you is identified, we can fight for compensation from their insurance company or by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the driver. If they are not identified, it may still be possible to file a claim with your own insurance company through your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. When you consult an attorney at our firm, we would be happy to answer any questions you may have and discuss which avenues are available to help make you whole again.
Call today to request your free case review: (888) 286-2850.
What to Do if You're the Victim of a Hit and Run Accident
In hit and run accidents, innocent victims often have difficulty getting compensation for their injuries because the person to blame cannot be tracked down. If you were involved in a hit and run, turn to an experienced personal injury law firm for assistance with your case. Our attorneys and staff will use all available resources to find the person who hit you and pursue justice.
Although it can sometimes be difficult to track down the at-fault party in a hit and run, there are certain steps you can take to increase the chances of finding the person who hit you.
- Don't try to follow the driver. The person behind the wheel may be dangerous and should not be confronted without authorities present.
- Call 911 to report the event immediately. Offer as many details as possible, including anything you can recall about the vehicle, such as the color, make model and license plate number.
- Speak to witnesses and obtain their contact information.
- Photograph your car and the scene of the accident. It is also helpful if you are able to take a photo of the other vehicle's license plate before the driver leaves.
The better you document all information at the scene of the accident, the better chance you have of finding the driver. Our firm can offer you a free case evaluation to get started in your pursuit of justice!
Call a Hit and Run Accident Attorney in Harrisburg, PA at (888) 286-2850!
At Metzger Wickersham, an experienced Pennsylvania hit and run accident attorney may be able to assist you or a loved one in your case. Our firm was founded on the premise of helping people in their pursuit of justice. For more than 130 years, our skilled team has helped clients throughout the state in a breadth of legal matters. Today, we are one of Pennsylvania's most established law firms, and more than capable of helping clients through a variety of hit and run cases.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation! There is no obligation, and there is never a fee unless we win your case.