Harrisburg DUI Accident Attorney
Fight for Your Right to Fair Compensation with Metzger Wickersham
If you suffered injuries in a drunk driving collision, the intoxicated driver should be held responsible. The emotional trauma and physical pain that survivors experience can be devastating, and the damages caused can result in an unexpected financial strain for accident victims/survivors.
Driving under the influence is not only selfish but negligent. To fight for compensation for damages, accident victims/survivors can pursue a civil case (which is separate from and has no bearing on criminal proceedings). Damages (compensation) that can be recovered include:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Rehabilitation and/or therapy costs
- Pharmacy bills
- Lost wages (as well as future lost wages)
- Damaged property repairs
- Pain and suffering
- Other accident-related expenses
If you were injured by a reckless, drunk driver, contact Metzger Wickersham today at (888) 286-2850 or via this form. Known for our results-driven, team-based approach, you can trust our Harrisburg DUI accident attorneys to help you.
Liability in Harrisburg Drunk Driving Accidents
While the drunk driver who caused the accident may be held liable, they may not be the only liable party. If the drunk driver was served alcohol at a local restaurant/bar or a person’s home before the accident, the person serving the drunk driver can also be held liable.
Pennsylvania Dram Shop & Social Host Laws
Under Pennsylvania Liquor Code § 4-493, it is illegal for employees or businesses with liquor licenses to sell, furnish, or give a minor or visibly intoxicated person any liquor, malt, or brewed beverages. Business owners or employees should also prohibit anyone else in their establishment, from giving a minor or visibly intoxicated individual an alcoholic beverage.
Common signs of visible intoxication include:
- Loud and/or slurred speech
- Stumbling and/or poor coordination
- Drinking too fast
- Impaired fine motor skills
- Delayed reaction times
- Impaired judgment
- Noticeable changes in behavior
- Bloodshot or glassy eyes
- Inability to finish sentences or thoughts
If a licensed liquor vendor or employee serves a minor or visibly drunk individual, you may be able to hold them liable for your injuries after a drunk driving collision. Similarly, you can hold a party host responsible if they serve drinks to a minor at a party and that minor is involved in a drunk driving crash with you (under Pennsylvania social host laws).
Common Injuries Caused by Dangerous Drunk Driving Wrecks
Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of auto accidents in the United States. According to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation crash statistics (2020), on average each day, there were 21 alcohol-related traffic crashes as well as 13 people injured and 0.8 people fatally injured in an alcohol-related crash.
Injuries from DUI-related crashes can include:
- Head injuries, such as concussions, contusions (bruises), penetration (of an object through the skull), diffuse axonal (forceful rotation of the skull that leads to tears), etc.
- Neck injuries, such as nerve pinches, disc injuries, whiplash, vertebral fractures, etc.
- Back injuries, such as sprains, muscle irritation, bruising
- Spinal cord injuries, such as spinal cord tissue tears, displacement of bone fragments, etc.
- Chest injuries, such as airbag impact injuries, muscle tension or straining, steering wheel injuries, seat belt injuries, etc.
- Facial or external injuries, such as lacerations, burns, etc.
What to Do After You Are Hit by a Drunk Driver
After an accident, you may be disoriented or in shock. If possible (based on your health/injuries), you should take the following steps after a DUI accident.
- Report the accident. You are legally required to report a traffic accident in Pennsylvania, so you should call the proper authorities. It is also advisable that you remember to inform your insurance provider of the accident.
- Seek medical attention. No matter how severe or minor your injuries are, you should see a doctor. If you are in shock, you will likely fail to realize you are hurting until some time has passed. Seeking treatment is important to your claim since your medical records can be used as evidence.
- Take notes concerning the accident. You should try to obtain the other driver’s name, license plate, and insurance information. Documenting the time, weather, roadway layout, skid marks, and vehicular damage can help build your case as well. If possible, take pictures of the accident scene and important documents.
- Collect witness information. If anyone else is a witness to the collision, ask for their name, address, and preferred contact method (phone or email). Their testimony can also help with your case.
- Contact our firm. The sooner you contact our team the sooner we can get to work. Our attorneys can follow up with the people, contact your healthcare provider, and contact witnesses to begin to build your case and develop a strong legal strategy.
Get Help From Our DUI Accident Attorneys
If you are injured by a negligent drunk driver, our Harrisburg DUI accident attorneys are equipped to help you obtain compensation and hold the liable party accountable. We understand how stressful and taxing recovering from an accident can be. Let our team handle the case legalities, while you take the time you need to heal.
“Had a great experience with these awesome people. Their job was done promoting well and they got me way more than I could have imagined. I would Highly recommend.”- Michael C.
“Great Attorneys!”- David Stephens
“My experience with M&W was made very painless by [Attorney] Lori & [Paralegal] Judy from the Hbg office!”- Kenneth Williams
“The lawyers at this office and their staff, Mr. [Attorney] DeVere and [Paralegal] Stephanie, his assistant, became the voice I didn’t have after the accident. They were my points of light.”- Ms. D. Lopez
“You guys were so easy to work with. There was no stress and the whole process was done in a timely manner. I would recommend Metzger Wickersham to everyone. Such a pleasure.”- Sharon Balent
“Attorney Painter was simply amazing...My wife had been fighting SSI for over three years. Since working with Metzger Wickersham her stress and anxiety levels were 100% gone.”- Carlos Bonilla
“Outstanding in every way no one has ever helped me more in my entire life like this firm. I highly recommend. Thank you very much.”- Gary Klinger
“They helped me with my case on a motor vehicle accident. They were kind, understanding, professional, and got the job done. They explained things, talked me through stuff, and answered any questions I had!”- Ms. Brianna Marquis
“Thank you for going that extra mile.”- Joanne Brenizer
“They made everything stress free.”- Alexia Brodbeck