With the holidays in full swing, millions of drivers will hit the roadways
and parking lots between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. The Insurance
Institute for Highway Safety has found that collision claims jump 20%
in the month of December due to the added hustle and bustle. This time
of year, it’s important to pay close attention to your surroundings
and use extra caution while driving or walking in parking lots.
Here are a few helpful tips to help make sure you stay safe this holiday season:
- Make sure your vehicle is operating properly and don’t forget to
check the lights, fluids, tires and battery before heading out on your travels.
- Plan your route in advance and check traffic reports and weather conditions
before you leave.
- Follow speed limits and remember excess traffic and congestion on the roads
may mean you'll have to travel below posted limits. Drive defensively
and don't respond to aggressive drivers.
- Get a good night's sleep and be sure to take regular breaks during
long road trips as it can be very dangerous to drive when you're overly tired.
- Be prepared for emergencies. Keep a blanket, boots, an extra pair of gloves
and a flashlight in the trunk of your car.
- Let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to be there.
- If possible, drivers should try to stay off the road between the hours
of midnight and 3 am, when drunk driving accidents are most likely, according
to research from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Remember, accidents aren't the only source of increased holiday season
insurance claims. Be sure to lock packages and other valuables in the
trunk, and not in plain view.
Harrisburg Car Accident Attorney
Auto accidents happen all the time, injuring drivers, passengers and pedestrians.
At Metzger Wickersham, our personal injury attorneys understand the difficulties
you may face after a crash. If you were hurt through no fault of your
own, get in touch with our seasoned lawyers. We are here to help you fight
for the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at
(888) 286-2850 to schedule a free consultation.