Choose A Firm With A History of ExcellenceChoose A Firm With A History of Excellence
Mental Anguish & Emotional Distress
Pennsylvania Lawyers Pursuing Justice Since 1888
After being involved in an accident, a significant amount of people suffer from a great deal of mental anguish and emotional distress. Cases involving car accidents, dog bites or other scenarios can trigger significant reactions in victims. Although these symptoms are not as obvious as severe physical injuries, it is still possible to pursue compensation for them.
With the help of a skilled Harrisburg personal injury attorney from Metzger Wickersham, you benefit from advocacy backed by years of experience and the resources of one of the most established firms in Pennsylvania.
Signs of Emotional Distress & Mental Anguish
Mental and emotional anguish may not always be detectable to outsiders, but it can cause great harm to those affected by it. Psychological and mental distress after an accident can take shape in many ways.
Common signs and symptoms are:
- Terror / Fear
- Sorrow / Grief
How to Sue for Emotional Distress
The Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers at Metzger Wickersham can evaluate your case to see if mental anguish and emotional distress may factor into your personal injury claim. With proper representation, you may be able to claim compensation for your suffering. Our firm has a large support staff, which enables us to devote a great deal of attention to the specifics of your accident, your injuries, and even your mental and emotional health following the incident.
Then, we can effectively communicate those factors to the appropriate parties and ensure that you are taken care of. Don't let insurance companies gloss over the mental and emotional effects of your accident. Pursue the compensation that is rightfully yours in the wake of a traumatic incident.
How To Prove Emotional Distress
If you’ve been physically injured and wish to sue for emotional distress, you’ll need solid evidence that proves your case, such as witness statements, photos, and the testimony of medical experts.
Here are five ways that emotional distress caused by physical injury can be proven:
- Onset of Symptoms - It’s essential to document when the symptoms of the emotional distress began after your personal injury accident. You can start by recording changes to your regular routine, notifying your friends, colleagues, or employer, and seeking medical attention.
- Severity of Emotional Distress - Generally, in order to have a successful claim, the emotional distress that accompanies a physical injury must be severe enough to cause a significant change in your quality of life. The more prolonged and intense the emotional distress, the more likely it is that a court will rule in your favor.
- Associated Physical Symptoms - In addition to the emotional/mental symptoms of your distress, it is important to document any physical symptoms as well. This might include headaches, tension in the body, panic attacks, insomnia, and even gastrointestinal issues, just to name a few.
- Cause of Emotional Distress - Identifying the cause of your emotional distress after your personal injury accident is of utmost importance. Linking emotional distress to a singular, traumatic incident, such as a car accident or assault, is critical to having a successful claim.
- Medical Validation - Emotional distress claims caused by physical injury must be supported by at least one medical professional who is qualified to treat these types of psychological issues. You can include your initial diagnosis, documentation of your treatment, medication you are taking, and any other relevant information from your doctor.
Negligence is a key factor in personal injury cases. Pennsylvania has laws in place to protect victims of negligence. Under these laws, an injury victim has the right to pursue compensation for compensatory, punitive, and nominal damages. These may include medical expenses, property damage, time away from work, emotional pain and suffering, and acts of gross negligence.
Contact Personal Injury Attorneys in Pennsylvania!
Our firm has a decades of legal experience and knowledge, not to mention a host of attorneys and professional staff ready to take on your case. With our help, you can expect quality representation, personal interactions, genuine care and concern, and a no-fee guarantee! If we don't win your case, you don't have to worry about paying a single legal fee.
"I was involved in a car accident (not at fault), that seemed like it would be straightforward. The at-fault driver accepted fault and so did their insurance company. The problem was that they wanted ..."M.H.
"I worked with [Attorney] Zachary Campbell & [Paralegal] Tammy Dagrosa & they were AMAZING! They helped me win my case & handle my medical debt from my accident! Thanks to them, my daughter & I will be ..."Former Client
"Very happy with our experience would highly recommend them Thank you Zack Campbell"Diana B.
"Metzger Wickersham’s [Attorney] Zach was so easy to work with. His professionalism is unmatched to any other attorney I have ever had to deal with. He always kept me informed on any new information ..."Cindy
"It is hard to express in words how grateful I am that I chose Metzger Wickersham to help me with my case. [Attorney] Andrea, [Paralegal] Shawn (Wilkes Barre Pa), [Attorney] Zach, [Paralegal] Melanie, ..."Patricia L.
"[Attorney] Zach and [Paralegal] Amber were beyond helpful. The attention to detail, constant communication and customer service is beyond appreciated. Would recommend to anyone that needs their help ..."Denise S.
"From the first interaction to the last, Attorney Zach Campbell and Paralegal Amber Freeman were professional and informative and provided great advice and guidance throughout the process. Never have ..."Crystal B.
"From the start, I could tell Attorney Campbell not only cared about my case but Me the person. To tell you the truth without his helpful advice, I'm not sure what the outcome would have been."Jill and Terry B.
"Attorney Zach Campbell and Paralegal Sandy Spade were great to work with. Zach is one of the best and most knowledgeable attorneys I have ever met."Janey G.
"Really appreciated working with Zach! He is very professional and helpful! Great experience! Thanks, MW!"Nikki C.
"We were very pleased with the performance, support, professionalism and determination of Mr. Zach Campbell and the law firm on our case. Every step along the way, we were kept informed of the progress."L.H.
"Zach was so easy to work with. His professionalism is unmatched to any other attorney I have ever had to deal with. He always kept me informed on any new information that came up in the course of his day."Cindy
Client-Focused & Results DrivenYou are more than just a case number. At our firm, we treat our clients like family and ensure you get the recovery you deserve.
24/7 RepresentationThe minute you need us, we are here to help. When you can't visit us, we'll visit you, and when you need answers, we'll give you solutions.
Dedicated TeamWhen you trust us with your case, you get a FULL team of dedicated and experienced attorneys working to solve your case.
Decades of ExperienceOur team has had our doors open for over 135 years and we have roots dating back to 1888.