Choose A Firm With A History of ExcellenceLET OUR TEAM FIGHT FOR YOU
Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Attorney
Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim
Most employees in Pennsylvania are covered by workers' compensation benefits. The workers' comp system is designed to provide employees with financial assistance if they sustain an occupation-related injury or illness. That means if you have been injured on the job, you have a legal right to get your medical bills paid and receive compensation for wage loss and physical impairments related to your work accident. While this might sound like a straightforward process, employers and their insurance companies sometimes deny legitimate workers' compensation claims, even for common work-related injuries.
At Metzger Wickersham, our Pennsylvania workers' compensation attorneys have extensive experience handling denied, terminated, or reduced claims. If you were denied a workers' compensation claim, or if the insurance company tries to stop your benefits, you can take an aggressive stand to protect your rights.
We can help you with any workers’ compensation claim or related matter, including but not limited to:
- Dealing with your employer
- Dealing with doctors
- Dealing with your workers’ compensation adjuster
- Denied workers’ compensation benefits
Who Is Covered by Workers’ Compensation in Pennsylvania?
Nearly every employee in Pennsylvania is covered by workers’ compensation. All employers who have at least one employee must provide workers’ compensation insurance for all employees, including part-time, full-time, and seasonal workers.
There are very few exemptions for workers’ compensation in Pennsylvania, but some include:
- Agricultural workers who work less than 30 hours or earn less than $1,200 from a single employer in one calendar year
- Executives who have specifically requested an exemption
- Most domestic workers
- Certain religious workers
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, meaning you do not need to prove that your employer (or another party, such as a coworker) was negligent to file a claim. However, your employer may dispute your eligibility by arguing that you were acting negligently or violating workplace policies when your injury occurred. If your employer is disputing your claim, or if the insurance company has denied your workers’ compensation claim, contact Metzger Wickersham right away to learn how we can help.
Common Accidents & Injuries in The Workplace
Workers in all industries face certain risks every day on the job. Whether you operate heavy machinery, spend all day on your feet, or work in an office environment, you may find yourself seriously injured in a workplace or work-related accident.
Some of the most common work-related accidents and injuries include:
- Accidental amputation caused by machinery accidents, entrapment, entanglement, and more
- Exposure to asbestos, leading to asbestosis, mesothelioma, and other conditions
- Back, neck, shoulder, knee, or arm injuries
- Burn injuries, including thermal burns and electrical burns
- Defective tools, machinery, and equipment
- Falls in the workplace, including slip and falls and falls from heights
- Broken or fractured bones
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Loss of hearing or loss of vision
- Hospital injuries
- Repetitive motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Structure collapses and cave-ins
- Traumatic injuries or reactions to substances or chemicals at the workplace (toxic exposure)
- Overexertion and overuse injuries caused by improper lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying
It can be hard knowing what to do to make sure your rights are fully protected after you have been injured at work. We can help. From filing initial paperwork to collecting medical evidence to filing a claim petition, we know the steps to take after a work injury.
Contact us today! With offices in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Pottsville, Shippensburg, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Frederick, and York, we can meet with you anywhere in Pennsylvania. Our attorneys can even travel to your home or the hospital if you are unable to come into one of our offices.
What to Do After a Workplace Injury
If you were injured on the job, let your employer know about your workplace injury as soon as possible. Your employer and insurance company have 21 days to accept a claim or issue a denial.
If you have been injured at work, follow these steps:
- Report Your Injury: If you are injured on the job, you should immediately report your injury to a supervisor or person of authority at your place of employment. Your injury should be reported in writing, if possible. You should notify your employer within 21 days of your injury. Be mindful that you must give notice to your employer no later than 120 days after your injury or you will lose your right to receive benefits under the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act.
- Get Medical Treatment: Get medical treatment as soon as possible after a work injury. Do not ignore your injury or delay going to a doctor. You are required to treat with a medical provider from your employer's panel of physicians for the first 90 days following a work injury. If no panel exists, you can treat with a provider of your choosing from the beginning of your workers' compensation claim.
- Listen to Your Doctor: Follow your doctor's orders. Your workers' compensation benefits may be affected if you fail to follow your doctor's guidelines or restrictions. Do not return to work or participate in activities that could exacerbate your injury unless/until you receive approval from your doctor.
- Enlist Legal Help: Don't give a recorded statement or sign anything given to you by the workers' compensation insurance company without consulting a lawyer. Without legal advice, you may unknowingly do or say things that could put your claim in jeopardy.
It is highly recommended to consult with an experienced workers' compensation lawyer immediately after suffering a work injury. A knowledgeable Pennsylvania workers' compensation attorney at Metzger Wickersham can explain your full rights and help you navigate the workers' compensation system.
Devoted Representation of Injured Clients in PA
At Metzger Wickersham, we represent workers' compensation clients throughout Pennsylvania. We have an entire team dedicated to helping injured workers with their Pennsylvania workers' compensation claims. If you trust us to take charge of your case, we will deal with the hassles of the workers' compensation system so you can focus on your physical recovery.
Our attorneys have a broad knowledge of workers' compensation laws in Pennsylvania and fight for clients who have sustained all types of on-the-job injuries while working in offices, at industrial sites, construction sites, in hospitals, and many other workplaces. If you are unable to work because of a disability or injury, our firm may also be able to help you obtain benefits through the Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability programs.
"I was involved in a car accident (not at fault), that seemed like it would be straightforward. The at-fault driver accepted fault and so did their insurance company. The problem was that they wanted ..."M.H.
"I worked with [Attorney] Zachary Campbell & [Paralegal] Tammy Dagrosa & they were AMAZING! They helped me win my case & handle my medical debt from my accident! Thanks to them, my daughter & I will be ..."Former Client
"Very happy with our experience would highly recommend them Thank you Zack Campbell"Diana B.
"Metzger Wickersham’s [Attorney] Zach was so easy to work with. His professionalism is unmatched to any other attorney I have ever had to deal with. He always kept me informed on any new information ..."Cindy
"It is hard to express in words how grateful I am that I chose Metzger Wickersham to help me with my case. [Attorney] Andrea, [Paralegal] Shawn (Wilkes Barre Pa), [Attorney] Zach, [Paralegal] Melanie, ..."Patricia L.
"[Attorney] Zach and [Paralegal] Amber were beyond helpful. The attention to detail, constant communication and customer service is beyond appreciated. Would recommend to anyone that needs their help ..."Denise S.
"From the first interaction to the last, Attorney Zach Campbell and Paralegal Amber Freeman were professional and informative and provided great advice and guidance throughout the process. Never have ..."Crystal B.
"From the start, I could tell Attorney Campbell not only cared about my case but Me the person. To tell you the truth without his helpful advice, I'm not sure what the outcome would have been."Jill and Terry B.
"Attorney Zach Campbell and Paralegal Sandy Spade were great to work with. Zach is one of the best and most knowledgeable attorneys I have ever met."Janey G.
"Really appreciated working with Zach! He is very professional and helpful! Great experience! Thanks, MW!"Nikki C.
"We were very pleased with the performance, support, professionalism and determination of Mr. Zach Campbell and the law firm on our case. Every step along the way, we were kept informed of the progress."L.H.
"Zach was so easy to work with. His professionalism is unmatched to any other attorney I have ever had to deal with. He always kept me informed on any new information that came up in the course of his day."Cindy
Client-Focused & Results DrivenYou are more than just a case number. At our firm, we treat our clients like family and ensure you get the recovery you deserve.
24/7 RepresentationThe minute you need us, we are here to help. When you can't visit us, we'll visit you, and when you need answers, we'll give you solutions.
Dedicated TeamWhen you trust us with your case, you get a FULL team of dedicated and experienced attorneys working to solve your case.
Decades of ExperienceOur team has had our doors open for over 135 years and we have roots dating back to 1888.